top of page



  • Facebook Clean Grey
  • Twitter Clean Grey
  • Instagram Clean Grey

Schoolboy, 14, will face trial as he denies murdering father of three who was found stabbed to death

A 14-year-old boy accused of stabbing a married father-of-three to death outside his home will stand trial next summer.

Jamie Markham, 45, was killed after he confronted a group of youths shouting and swearing outside his home in Chingford, east London on August 9.

Mr Markham was treated by paramedics but was pronounced dead at the scene. A post-mortem examination later confirmed he was killed by a stab wound to the lung.

Dressed in a black parka the 14-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, denied murder and possessing a knife in public when he appeared at the Old Bailey today.

Judge Anuja Dhir QC remanded the boy in custody ahead of his trial on June 27 next year.

Mr Markham's wife Candice and his 17-year-old daughter Chloe sat at the back of the court as the alleged killer's parents watched from the public gallery.

Prosecutor Louise Oakley earlier told the court: 'At approximately 6pm on the 9 August Jamie Markham returned to his home address and shortly thereafter went to a shed at the rear of his home.

'His daughter returned at about 6.20pm and as she did a group of youths started to shout abuse at her and her friend.

A police tent at the scene after Mr Markham was fatally stabbed in Chingford, East London

Police are pictured at the scene in Chingford following the incident earlier this year

'On hearing this commotion, Jamie Markham came out of his shed and a confrontation took place where ultimately he received two stab wounds, the first being a stab wound under his armpit and on the left hand side - that was the fatal injury - and one to his neck.

Jamie Markham (centre), 45, was fatally stabbed in Chingford, East London, on Monday evening. He is pictured with his wife Candice (right) and his 17-year-old daughter Chloe (left)

'He collapsed at the scene and the defendant fled.

'Despite the best efforts of the emergency services his life was pronounced extinct at 19.16 hours.'

The 14-year-old boy denies murder and possession of a knife.

He is next due to appear in court for a hearing in the case by video link on February 7.

Credit: Read more from


bottom of page