top of page



  • Facebook Clean Grey
  • Twitter Clean Grey
  • Instagram Clean Grey

mum, 19, jailed for leaving her 20-month-old daughter to starve to death as she partied for 6 days

A teen mother broke down in tears today as she was jailed for nine years after leaving her baby to starve to death while she went partying for six days to celebrate her 18th birthday.

Verphy Kudi went to a 1990s music concert in Elephant and Castle and even had a DJ announce her birthday during her days-long jaunt away from home, a court heard.

All the while her 20-month-old daughter, Asiah, was alone in her flat in a 'supported housing' block in Brighton more than 50 miles away.

Asiah tragically died from influenza and starvation after having been left unattended for five days, 21 hours and 58 minutes, prosecutors said.

When paramedics were finally called to the flat on December 11, 2019 after Kudi had returned, they found her 'incoherent, distressed and distraught' and her daughter lying on the floor.

Kudi, now 19, today appeared in the dock at Lewes Crown Court on Friday for sentencing after pleading guilty to manslaughter.

She broke down in tears as she was jailed for nine years and taken away by court staff.

Judge Laing said the baby had gone through 'almost unimaginable suffering' before dying alone in the flat.

She added: 'She was a helpless young child and relied completely on you as her mother to proved for her needs.'

She told her Kudi 'grossly abused her trust' and had prioritised her desire to 'celebrate your birthday and the birthday of friends' rather than the needs of her child.

Wearing a black jacket and a face mask, Kudi bowed her head as details of the final days of her daughter's life were read out in the courtroom.

Prosecutor Sally Howes QC said CCTV covering Kudi's home showed that she had left Asiah alone in the flat for five days, 21 hours and 58 minutes.

Kudi left Brighton on December 5 and went to London where she spent her birthday with her boyfriend.

On December 7 she attended a concert in Elephant and Castle and stayed out until 4am.

On December 9 she moved on to a birthday party in Coventry - 150 miles from Brighton - before returning to London the next day and then home to East Sussex on December 11.

Kudi returned to the flat at 3.38pm on December 11 but did not call emergency services for more than two hours.

In that time she was seen emptying bags into a communal bin area before going back to her flat.

She eventually dialled 999 and told the call handler after her daughter was 'not waking up'.

She told paramedics Asiah had been sleeping all day she had given her milk and Calpol and let her sleep.

Ambulance staff arrived at Kudi's Brighton flat and Asiah was taken to the city's Royal Alexandra Children's Hospital but was confirmed dead on arrival.

Kudi broke down in tears as she was jailed for nine years and taken away by court staff

Peter Wilcock QC, defending Kudi, said it is 'truly a tragic and devastating case'.

He added: 'She herself, the defendant, is both very young and we would submit very vulnerable.'

Mr Wilcock cited her young age at the time of the offence and her history of vulnerability, as well as the effects any sentence will have on her going forward.

Sentencing Kudi, Judge Christine Laing QC said: 'Asiah was alone in that flat for six days - less two hours - unable to do anything to draw attention to her plight.

'She was a helpless child and relied completely on you as her mother to provide for her needs.

'It is almost unbearable to contemplate her suffering in the final days of her life, suffering that she endured so that you could celebrate your birthday and the birthdays of your friends as a carefree teenager.'

'It goes without saying that this is a particularly tragic case and it no doubt raises strong emotions in all who hear of it, but everyone should bear in mind that the charge I sentence you for is one of manslaughter, it being accepted that you did not intend to cause Asiah death nor to cause her really serious harm.'

Judge Laing QC branded Kudi 'deceitful and manipulative' and added: 'You knew full well you should not be doing what you were doing.

'It is a particularly distressing aspect of this case that it is unlikely she would have cried for any time because she had learned on may occasions there would have ben no response.'

It had been previously been revealed Kudi tried to sell concert tickets on Twitter on the day the baby's body was found.

Another tweet showed her attempting to become a Pretty Little Thing model months after Asiah's death.

Pictured: Screengrabs taken from mobile phone footage dated December 8 of Kudi at a concert in Elephant and Castle London

Pictured: Screengrab taken from CCTV dated December 11 of Kudi returning to her home in Brighton where she had abandoned her 20-month-old daughter

In the three months leading up to her death there were at least six other occasions she left Asiah alone in the flat (pictured in an undated photo) - once for two whole days

Credit: Read more from


bottom of page