top of page



  • Facebook Clean Grey
  • Twitter Clean Grey
  • Instagram Clean Grey

Police launch probe into claims a mother died after staff at NHS hospital gave her a paracetamol ove

Police have launched an investigation into claims a mother of two died after NHS doctors gave her an accidental overdose of paracetamol.

Laura Higginson was being treated in hospital for suspected pneumonia when the blunder occurred.

Her husband, Antony, claims he was never told about the mistake and found out by chance after requesting the post-mortem report months later.

Police are investigating a claim that mother of two Laura Higginson (left) died after NHS doctors gave her an accidental overdose of paracetamol

He received a copy from his GP in June 2017, around two months after her death.

He contacted lawyers and police amid concerns of a ‘cover up’. Although the death of Mrs Higginson, 30, was reported to the local coroner at the time, no inquest was held.

The Whiston Hospital, Merseyside, refutes suggestions the overdose contributed to her death and claims complications from a genetic condition she suffered were responsible.

But it is understood independent experts who analysed her medical notes said the painkiller irreparably damaged her liver and could have been to blame.

Yesterday Sefton coroner Julie Goulding said she had agreed to hold a full inquest following the submission of ‘fresh medical evidence.’

It opened yesterday and will be heard at a later date.

Mr Higginson, 45, told the Daily Mail that watching their children, Stephen, then nine, and Evie, then seven, say goodbye to their mother in hospital still ‘haunted’ him.

‘Since Laura died life has been very hard,’ said the product manager.

‘One of the hardest things I have ever done or will ever do was wake the children at 11:30pm (and) drive them into a hospital at night to say goodbye to their mum.

‘That image of seeing the children on the bed crying and making promises to her... My daughter holding Laura’s hand trying to stroke her own face haunts me.

Whiston Hospital (pictured) refutes any suggestion of an overdose, with Merseyside Police saying an investigation is underway

Source: Read more from

bottom of page