top of page



  • Facebook Clean Grey
  • Twitter Clean Grey
  • Instagram Clean Grey

Toddler, 2, left covered in herpes after receiving ‘deadly kiss’ from infected adult

Kalo Hoy, two, was diagnosed with herpes simplex virus (Picture: Caters News Agency)

The parents of a toddler left covered in herpes after receiving a ‘deadly kiss’ are now raising awareness about the condition, Metro reported.

Kalo Hoy, two, spent four days in hospital last month after his mum Lorna Hoy, 27, and dad Andy Briggs, 34, noticed small red spots forming across his face, chest and arm.

The youngster was dismissed twice by doctors, until testing positive for herpes simplex virus on his parents’ third attempt to seek medical advice.

Parents of herpes toddler warn about adult kisses

Doctors suggested the toddler had contracted the condition by kissing an infected adult.

‘I never thought this would happen to our family. Kalo had red spots all over this face, chest and arm before he was diagnosed with herpes,’ Lorna, from Salford, Manchester, said.

‘He had ulcers in his mouth and needed injections in his eyes to ensure the infection hadn’t spread to them as this could’ve blinded him.

The toddler lost his appetite days before he was diagnosed (Picture: Caters News Agency)

‘I have heard of babies dying from catching this virus which is awful and I think the only reason Kalo survived is because he was just under two at time.

’ She added: ‘Kissing children on their mouths and sharing cutlery is a common way to catch herpes, as it’s spread through saliva.

’ Kalo was admitted to Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester on January 12 and given an intense course of IV antibiotics.

Andy, a bus driver, said the toddler had struggled to eat days before his diagnosis but under doctors’ ‘amazing care’ he gradually got better.

He has since made a full recovery (Picture: Caters News)

Read more from Metro

My view: Don't allow anyone to kiss your child, herpes (HSV-1) can be transmitted through saliva and surfaces in or around the mouth as well, according to the World Health Organisation.

bottom of page