top of page



  • Facebook Clean Grey
  • Twitter Clean Grey
  • Instagram Clean Grey

Illegal immigrant murdered workmate with axe at carpet shop then wheeled him to cemetery in shopping

A suspected illegal immigrant murdered his colleague with an axe then redecorated the carpet shop where they worked to try and cover his tracks.

Imran Muhammad, 31, hid Seyed Khan's body inside a shopping trolley and wheeled him to a cemetery, Mirror reported.

Muhammad painted over blood marks in their workplace and concocted a story about how Mr Khan had disappeared to tell his relatives.

Police interviews with the victim's family revealed he had caught Muhammad stealing from the shop and that Muhammad had begged for him not to tell the owner.

While Muhammad had never admitted this, it is strongly suspected this was the motive for the attack, police said.

It was also established that Muhammad was illegally living in the UK and he feared he would be deported back to Pakistan if he came to the attention of the authorities.

Muhammad, of Ilford, has been jailed for life at the Old Bailey today.

He was ordered to serve a minimum of 24 years in jail after being found guilty of the murder of 49-year-old Seyed Khan at the same court yesterday.

Muhammad was also found guilty of perverting the course of justice and was jailed for five years.

The sentences will run concurrently.

The court heard how Muhammad, who was employed at A-Z Carpets in Ilford, was left in charge of running the shop while the owner was out of the country.

Mr Khan, who was a friend of the owner, had been helping by carrying out deliveries in the evening.

On the evening of January 24, he told his family he was going to the shop to do some deliveries.

CCTV footage, which was subsequently gathered as part of the investigation, showed Mr Khan parking his car in the street outside the shop and entering the premises at around 6pm - the last time he was seen alive.

About ten minutes later the shutters on the shop were seen to come down and the internal lights turned off.

In that short period of time, Mr Khan had entered the shop and been attacked with an axe by Muhammad, sustaining fatal head injuries in the process.

As the victim lay dying on the floor, Muhammad began a futile attempt to cover his tracks which included moving the body, redecorating the shop and attempting to dispose of incriminating evidence.

At around 01:20am on January 25, CCTV captured Muhammad wheeling a shopping trolley down the High Road towards a cemetery.

Mr Khan's body was concealed inside this trolley and Muhammad dumped the corpse, along with other items, in the cemetery.

Having returned to the shop, Muhammad disposed of a number of items in bins at the back.

He tried to clean up the area where he had attacked Mr Khan, by repainting an interior wall where blood marks had been left.

Muhammad also made a call to the owner of the shop in an attempt to deflect attention away from him, pretending he was concerned for his colleague's welfare.

He concocted a story that Mr Khan had turned up at work the previous evening and then left the shop to take a phone call but didn't come back.

On the morning of January 25, Mr Khan's family - concerned that they could not contact him - raised the alarm and contacted police.

He was initially treated as a missing person.

Later that morning friends and family members went to the shop to try and trace his movements and spoke to Muhammad, who reiterated his earlier concocted story.

Muhammad then left the shop and, no doubt fearing that his story would soon be picked apart, travelled to Victoria Coach Station and fled on a coach to Glasgow.

Officers called in to investigate Mr Khan's apparent disappearance and discovered traces of his blood at the shop.

On February 1 the body was found in the cemetery off High Road, Ilford and that same day Muhammad was arrested in Glasgow before being brought down to London for questioning.

The axe used to attack Mr Khan was also found on the route between the shop and the cemetery.

A post-mortem examination at East Ham Mortuary on February 2 established Mr Khan had died as a result of extensive head injuries.

Despite Muhammad refusing to accept responsibility for his actions, detectives began to unpick the events of that fateful evening.

Detective Inspector Domenica Catino of the Homicide and Major Crime Command led the investigation into the murder.

She said: "This is a significant sentence which reflects the seriousness of this crime.

"Imran Muhammad went to great lengths to avoid justice but today he has been made to face the consequences of his actions.

"The jury saw straight through Muhammad's feeble lies as he attempted to deflect the blame from himself and have found him guilty of this horrific murder.

"From the outset, he has chosen to try and cover his tracks rather than refuse to accept responsibility for his actions - this included brazenly lying to Seyed's family who he knew were desperately worried about him.

"Seyed was a hard-working, family man who strived to provide for his wife and children.

"In the cruellest of circumstances he has been taken away from his family by the selfish actions of a cowardly man."

Seyed Khan's oldest son Khalil Khan said: "My dad was a kind, loving and caring man who would always put others before himself. His death has had a huge impact on our lives, which have now changed forever.

"We had such a happy, caring and joyful family. This has now been destroyed forever by an awful, heartless act that none of us deserved.

"We have been left with a void in our lives that can never be filled. We all miss him so much."

Culled from Mirror

My view: Why are some people so evil?, I hope this devil rot in jail.

bottom of page